Preface: I have found it incredibly hard to meet my Tuesday deadline. I find with each new entry I want to take more time to edit my crappy writing. So I will still put out a dream a week(provided I have one to share). Though the entry may not necessarily be on Tuesday it will definitely be sometime during the week. I hope you enjoy this new entry.
Dream: I am in an apartment and Don (my old boss) is talking to me. The conversation is very one-sided (as they usually were when I worked for him) so as he talked I looked around the apartment. The place was dimly lit and it seemed to give off this impression that Don had fallen on hard times. There was a couch in the center of the room, random paintings and pictures on the wall, but he did have shiny hard-wood floors and a big screen television not too far from the couch. As I was taking this in Don's words penetrated my concentration and started entering my ears loud and clear.
"...since she left me I've been staying in my old apartment until I figure out what to do. But I need someone to watch it tonight because I have business to attend to. Watch the tv or whatever you want and I'll be back in the morning, thanks a bunch Sam."
I rolled my eyes at the thought of helping this man but I figured it was only for a night. As soon as he left I got my phone and called a bunch of my friends over to hang out and enjoy his humongous television. I paced the room waiting impatiently for my company to arrive. I entered the kitchen to raid his fridge and found nothing of interest. The contents of his fridge consisted of pre-packaged ham, molded rolls, and of course an Arm & Hammer box in the far reaches of the fridge to keep things "fresh."
“Surprised Don doesn’t have a fungal infection or a parasite.” I slammed the fridge door and exited the kitchen with a plan. I dialed up some pizza and sat back down on the couch pleased with my choice of action. But before my butt cheeks could fully sink into the stuffed cushions there was a knock at the door.
I opened the door without a thought or care of who it was on the other side. After a twist of the knob a large group of men in suits filed into the apartment. They shuffled around the room until they were segregated into two groups each lined up in a firing squad fashion. They stood quietly with briefcases in each of their hands held horizontally in front of their crotches as if they were about to break out into a tap dance routine. Now being able to take a closer look because they were still, I realized one major difference between the two groups of men. One group of men were all white with slicked back hair. The other group were all Native Americans with braided hair.
"What are you doing here?" It seemed the obvious question. The Native Americans in suits quickly chimed in.
"We have come to help you realize...(he looks down at a sheet of paper briefly)...Don, that you are paying too much for health insurance!"
"Well I'm not D..." I was cut off by the white guys.
"So we have come along as well to show how great our insurance is and why you should stay with it." My friends would be arriving soon and I just wanted them out.
"Ok, how much do I currently pay for health insurance?"
"$1,000 a month."
"WHAT!? 1,000 dollars a month?"
"It's good coverage."
"Is there anything that it doesn't cover?" I said this sarcastically but was soon glad I asked.
"Covers everything except acts of God."
"So it covers almost nothing..." I muttered to myself. I turned to the Native Americans and gestured for them to pitch me their stuff.
"On our plan you would pay a reasonable fee of $200." The white men were quick to intervene.
"Ya but tell em about your holiday thing!" I was suspicious so I turned back to the Native Americans.
"Well every Native American holiday you have to pay another premium of $2,000." But there was one thing that I still didn't know.
"How many Native American holidays are there in a year?"
"Like two," said one of the Native Americans quickly. I do the math in my head and tell the white guys that I would be switching. The white business men began to whimper and glumly exchange papers with the Native Americans. Soon after they began to file out of the room. But with the white men leading the way they were leaving considerably slower compared to the speed of their entrance. As the line of business men waddled towards the door I pulled one of the Native Americans aside and asked,
"Why do you charge such a price on the holidays?" The man smiled and said,
"Peace pipes don't pass themselves." I smiled and nodded because at least he was being honest with me.
I watched as the last of the business men closed the door behind them. No sooner after the door clicked in place it reopened again with my friends and the pizza guy bursting through the entryway. They were all smiles and full of energy. They all looked at me and said,
"Sorry were late, what have you been doing this whole time?"
"Well I don't know why you are so interested Pizza Guy and friends but I just saved a bunch of money on my health insurance by letting Native Americans take care of it." They all gave me silent stares. I was hoping for anything to break the silence. The pizza guy quickly gave his opinion.
“You know they charge you tons of money on their stupid holidays right?” I rolled my eyes and decided to change topics.
"I'm hungry!" Which began a frenzy for the pizza slices. When things quieted down we all sat on couches and watched television.
An hour or so went by and everyone was agreeing it was time to go, so people began to gather their things. As everyone was collecting themselves Don walked through the door. The room was treated to another silence. Don took in the massive amount of people, the messed up apartment, and all the fixings that went with it. He looked down at his hardwood floors and noticed lots of black scuff marks. I was just noticing them myself. It looked like two gangs with really expensive shoes had fought in this living room. Don eventually looked up at me. So before he could say anything,
"I know what you're thinking but before you say anything I have good news..."
No comments:
Post a Comment