Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Show

Dream: Cold wind glides across my cheeks. I open my eyes to Grand Central station terminal. People draped in heavy coats and festive colors bustle their way towards either end. I feel very playful and decide to mimic random commuters but from the view of a penguin. So I stiffen my arms, cock my head, and twitch my eyes to make myself believe that I am seeing this behavior for the first time. I walk in a jaunty fashion making exaggerated waddles alongside the busy city folk. I look them up and down as I walk alongside, some roll their eyes others distance themselves. I get stares as I meander through the main concourse and towards one of the street level exits. As I begin to walk down this damp ramp toward the streets I see a figure at the bottom accompanied by two others. It is a young woman and she is waving at me. As I get closer I see that it is an old friend of mine, Anya. She is accompanied by my friend Christiaan and Clay Aiken.

I bring my body to it's taller original state and adjust my coat and break out in a brisk walk to meet them. I embrace Anya,
"Goodness it has been a long time!" She looks up at me and says,
"I knoooww! It is great that we can come together for this play!" I am then reminded why I am in New York City.
"Oh yes the play! It should be fun to do." I look over at Christiaan,
"I didn't know you were in this Christiaan." He smiles and says,
"It was either this or work at the DMV." We both nodded in agreement on his choice. Clay Aiken soon after stepped in and introduced himself.
"Very nice to meet you Sam, Anya has said some nice things about you."
"Oh good, then I can tell you all the bad things." I'm not quite sure why I said this. I have no qualms with Clay Aiken. We stood there in silence for a moment until Anya was kind enough to break it,
"We should head over to the work space for the rehearsal." Everyone agreed and we began our walk away from Grand Central.

The city was very festive today. People wrapped in colorful clothing, wreaths on doors, and red bows over entrances. As we walked I noticed that it was snowing but it seemed to be the perfect amount. Not enough snow to hinder traffic or turn walkways into rough terrain but certainly enough to be noticed. You could hear It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year over the buzz of other New Yorkers. I was in much better spirits than expected, but it was easy to see why. We soon had gotten ourselves to Time Square. We eased our way past masses of tourists into the center of it all. The song began to fade and Anya turned to the rest of us.
"Let's take that one from the top." Christiaan turned and pointed to the towering video display.
"Hit it!"
Music erupts and a large group of tourists and ourselves cluster into a formation and begin dancing in the middle of Times Square.

High kicks, glistening smiles, jazz hands and all we were it tearing up! We would leap over hoods of cars during the chorus. Everything seemed shinier whether it was a bench or a crosswalk. Everyone walking in Time Square stopped and watched like it was the Thanksgiving Day parade or something. At the end of the song we all froze in "casual" positions using a piece of the environment around us. For example, leaning on a lamp post or sitting on the sidewalk. Then as if a switch was flipped pedestrians continued on their own ways. We all broke pose and took a breath while Christiaan turned to face us all.
"We are still really sloppy on the pivot turn! You think this is a f@#*ing joke?" We all bowed our heads in shame and continued on our way to the work space. I stared at the sidewalk for the rest of the journey reflecting on the pivot turn and trying to figure out how to make it cleaner. We arrived at a large warehouse with big double doors that were wide open. Inside waited a fairly blank interior design and a women probably in her 50's.
"Glad you could all make it, it is really wonderful to see you all again." As the group stood in front of this commanding woman her eyes browsed trough us looking for familiar faces. They landed on Clay first,
"Wonderful to see you back here Mr. Aiken I missed your smile over the summer!" His face contorted his lips into the likable semicircle that the woman had missed for so long and she began to giggle with glee. She soon after found Christiaan in the crowd and overflowed.
"OHHH my goodness! Christiaan how are you dear? It is wonderful to see you again. We will desperately need you for this show! Well you and your words! If my husband could say words half as well as you can I would have him read me the most boring section of consumer reports and I would feel completely entertained!"
Christiaan slowly nodded his head in her direction and I laughed quietly to myself. The woman glared at me quickly and then resumed her command.
"Today I want us to work mostly on the bear ice-skating scene."

No comments:

Post a Comment