Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Worthy Friendship

Preface: Before reading the account of this dream I would like to say a few things up front. I did not take any medication/drugs before having this dream nor do I promote the use of such things to provoke dreams like this. It is also hard to give the same feel of some dreams through text alone, so if some are not as entertaining or you don't think the written account did it justice talk to me and I will tell you the story orally. Otherwise if you have any comments or questions about the dream please leave them in the comment section and I'll respond as soon as I can. Expect new posts on this blog every Tuesday. (My apologies for this late post.)

Dream: I am back at college in Currier Hall on the second floor. I remember that I move into my new room today. I begin to gambol down the hall towards the end of it. I am quite nervous because I am rooming with Emma a friend of mine. As the end of the hall gets close I turn into an open doorway. Inside I see wooden bed posts and desks. On top of these pieces of furniture are a bunch of smiling laughing people. The eldest man is wielding an acoustic guitar. Amongst them I notice Emma I go in for a hug. The other people in the room "awww" in unison. Emma looks up at me smiling and says,
"I have to get a few more things I'll be right back. Why don't you get to know my family?" Her hands gesturing to the surrounding people. She skips out of the room and I turn to look at the family hanging over me like vultures.

"Hi!" My weak attempt at communication.
"We think it is just grand that you are rooming with Emma this year." I turn my focus to the presumed father with the guitar.
"Agreed it should be a very fun year."
"Do you mind if we ask you a question Sam?"
"Not at all sir, ask away."
He clears his throat apparently it is a very important question.
"Have you heard the good news?" I cock my head to one side unsure of how to answer.
"Which good news? There is a lot of it going around these days." I finish this sentence with a giggle but everyone in the room seems very serious.
"The good news of our Lord and Savior!" I return my head to normal position slightly relieved.
"Ohhhhhhh ok, ya I've heard it. It's good stuff, I am a major fan."
The family looks around at each other, probably because of my odd choice of vocabulary. I mean when saying you are a Christian who uses the words "stuff" and "fan"?

While they are giving each other looks I decide to give each family member a closer examination. There was a sister and the mother sitting on the bed left of me. Both seemed pleasant with curly brown hair and cheery dispositions. They were swinging their dangling feet back and forth like they were children. The father was a very built man. In fact it is a miracle his forearms didn't crush the guitar as soon as they made contact with it. He had a small head with short hair and was wearing a really tight t-shirt(probably to show off his zeus-like body). Finally the brother who was very tall and skinny. Looked like he was built for swimming. He had ruffled dirty hair and a sinister look( I don't think he likes me).

The father finally spoke,
"Would you mind if we sang you a song about His greatness?" Now I'm all about appreciation and reveling in the moment but I didn't really want to listen to a home cooked christian song at the moment. I think it was mostly because of this vibe I was getting from the family.
"That's ok I should really start getting my stuff up here." I thought this to be a perfectly good excuse as to why I couldn't stay for their little diddy. So I turned for the door but I didn't sprint and instead a brisk walk, I felt that sprinting would send the wrong message. Before I could exit the room the door shut by itself. I turned back to the family,
"Whoa did you see that?" The father with a stern tone said,
"You will stay and listen!" I suddenly began to understand the situation. The brother got off from his perch on the desk and grabbed me. He threw me on the other bed in the room. While recovering from my landing on the bed I noticed that the bed was apparently equipped with chain and shackles. Which the brother proceeded to lock me in.
"Look I didn't mean to offend you or anything I'm sure your song is lovely. I just don't think that these "precautions" are warranted!" Then the father looked me in the eyes and smiled and said the worst response I could have imagined,
"You mean SONGS!"...There was more than one...

At first it wasn't so bad because the father was a good musician and the family for the most part stayed in-tune. But it was a gauntlet of music! The family decided to play me their greatest hits and more! It was like one of those 5 CD set commercials you see at 4 in the morning, with washed up musical celebrities pitching the product. The family regaled me with great titles such as "He is my Lord Down and Up the Street", "He is My Homeboy", "The Lord is My Wallpaper", "Lantern of My Life", "Long Walks on the Beach With the Lord", "Jesus is Always on the Other Line", "The Holy Ghost Doesn't Scare Me", "He is My Homeboy II", "I Am His Sheep" and many more! Several hours seemed to go by as the strums of the guitar and voices of the family's lungs slashed my face. Breaking loose from the chains seemed futile. I began to wonder where on earth Emma was but as soon as I did she opened the door with luggage in hand.
"Oh my goodness, you guys already started pelting him with your songs come on!" She said this as if her pet dog had just wet her room's carpet. She turned to me and said,
"I'm sorry I'm sure you want to go get your things."
"No he must remain here and hear more good news!" the father insisted.
"Sam, have you head He is My Homeboy?" I replied,
"The sequel as well."
"Then you have listened to more than enough!" She began to undo the chains.
"Nooo!" the father shouted. The brother began to pry Emma from my rescue. Emma had done enough with the chains that I could free myself. I lunged forward and throttled the brother and made him hit the floor.
I turned to Emma,
"Lets get out of here!" We made a break for the door. An acoustic guitar missed me and smashed against the doorway. Her father's voice trailing behind us shouting,
"Stop them!"
The sister and mother followed us out into the hallway. Emma looked behind us and with opiate eyes said,
"Ohh no, not the tentacles!" The two females conjured tentacles from the sides of their bodies that began squirming down the hallway at an alarming rate. As we ran Emma and I both looked out a window to see it was pouring rain. She grabbed a parasol that was leaning against a room door. She took my hand and yelled,
"Jump with me!" We veered towards a window and pierced through it with the parasol. We plunged into an ocean that was once a college campus. After we surfaced we squirmed and swam around until we saw a small boat by a tree. It was tied up as if it was waiting for us. We climbed in and emptied it of as much rain water as we could and then opened the parasol for cover. We loosed the line from the tree and began to drift away from Currier hall. We looked back to see tentacles waver and wane with stormy winds as they felt around the outside of the window searching for us.

We both regained our breath and stared at each other for a moment. We hugged each other in relief and looked out upon the vast ocean around us. I sat drenched in rain and tears of joy (mostly rain). So I decided to ask the question that seemed the most obvious and important.
"Where do we go now?" Emma looked at me and giggled.
"Block Island of course!"

No comments:

Post a Comment