Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sweet Relief

Preface: I had this dream when I was in elementary school. It is unique because I have yet to replicate what I accomplished in it, and its not for lack of trying...

Dream: I am walking the streets of Croton-on-Hudson. I am in my pajama bottoms and t-shirt. I seem to be walking out of town down Maple street. I pass the avenue that takes me to school and head towards the busy back roads past Teatown Road. I don't walk very fast because I am barefoot.

As I carefully step alongside the road trying to avoid the sharpest of the rocks, I notice that no cars have driven by me. I pluck a piece of gravel out of my heel and toss the thought aside. I pass a few more houses that have no activity inside them. I look down at my pajama pants,
"Why am I wearing pajamas? I hate these things, plus they are far too short, and it's the afternoon!" I continue to walk up the road towards the dam entrance and beyond that would be a bend in the road that leads to a construction site. I look behind me to see if any cars are coming down the road, nothing...

I stand in the middle of the street and do a childish jig on the yellow lines. I look up and down the road ecstatic at the fact that I can play in the middle of it. I lied down on the road and rolled around thinking to myself how mad my mother would be if she saw me doing this. After a sufficient amounting on rolling and gravel angels I pressed my cheek against the asphalt. Appreciating the warmth the road had absorbed while baking in the heat of the afternoon. I rolled onto my back and looked up at the canopy of leaves shielding the majority of sunlight from the ground.

My moment of splendor was soon interrupted by what sounded like a helicopter. I stood up and looked around for the source. Huge waves of wind splashed loose gravel at my face. I closed my eyes and covered my face with my hands. The tide of winds was soon ended by a loud "Thud" noise, the ground shook and shivered. I slowly opened my eyes to see what had happened. As my fingers drifted away from the front of my face I was greeted by a large cartoon dragon. It was yellow and green and was rather tubby. With child-like look about his face he barked,
"Hoi Sam! How are Yoooou!" It then let out a chuckle similar to Goofy's from the Mickey Mouse Cartoons.

It waited for a response, my body was frozen with fear because its snout was about five feet from me. I breathed deeply in and out as it stared at me blankly. It tilted its head sort of gesturing me to answer with something.
"Demon Cartoon!" I shouted hoping some adult I had not seen would hear me. I put my arms in the air and ran in the opposite direction of the dragon. As I distanced myself from the monstrosity the sound and shake of footsteps told me the dragon was following me.
"Wait I just want to be your friend!" This was followed by another creepy Goofy chuckle. I started looking frantically for a way to rid myself of my new found terrifying companion. As my feet mutilated themselves running on the sharp rocks of the road I noticed the entrance to the top of the dam. I made my way to the right of the road in preparation to getting on the path for the dam.
"Please don't run Sam, I have lollipops!" I cringed as my feet and my mind were being slowly eroded from the road and the dragon's words. I shouted back to the dragon,
"If you knew anything you'd know I hate lollipops!" I finally got into a clearing that lead straight to the top of the dam. My legs powered over the overgrown roots and large clumps of dirt that were along the way. But whilst traversing the wilderness towards the dam I had a series of ideas that made me stop dead in my tracks.
"Talking tubby yellow green dragons don't exist, no one is driving on the road, I hate my pajamas...I'm dreaming!"

Large yellow feet crashed through the ceiling of branches.
"Oh now you've made Trenton the Dragon very upset Sam!" The dragon's eyes started to become blood-shot. I looked at the whole of the beast and the more I thought about it the more the dragon started to look like Bowser from 'Super Mario 64'. I backpedaled away from Trenton and onto the top of the dam. Trenton slowly marched towards me breathing fire into the air and shouting,
"YOU COULD HAVE HAD SO MANY LOLLIPOPS!" I found myself backed against the balcony that looked out over the park in front of the dam. I looked straight down and saw the great fall that led to the base of the dam. I remembered that I was dreaming and looked back at the fall and smiled. I turned my gaze to Trenton and waved him farewell.
"Nooo! Don't do that!" Trenton tried to grab me but I had already stretched my arms out and let my body fall back. Rushing air cooled my face as I watched the cobblestones on the dam wall rush past the top of my vision. My ears caught one more thing before I hit the watery rocks below,
"Noo Sam! Peach Schnappes Lollipops! Nooo!!!"
At the time I had no clue what he was talking about. It didn't matter though because it had never felt so good to fall so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment